Friday, May 18, 2012

The R4 3DS Card Gives You Your Retro Game Fix On Your Nintendo DS

I’m an “old school” computer geek.  Okay, perhaps not so old, but I definitely love my old classic games.  I grew up with the Commodore 64, then the NES and Super Nintendo.  Old school by todays standards, but some of my absolute best memories of games come from an 8-bit era before, you know, before all of the 3d in todays games.  Excellent 2D platform games and even somewhat 3d shoot em up games were my games of choice.
What these old computers and game systems lacked in processing power, they made up for in the games themselves.  Always excellent gameplay – with some duds as you can imagine – but they really don’t make games like they used to.
Imagine my suprise when I stumbled on a little add on for my Nintendo DS that allowed me to relive some of my gaming glory days.  The R4 3DS Card is what I am refering to, and honestly it’s been the best investement I have ever made for my Nintendo DS.  With the R4 3DS Card I have been able to download some amazing hombrew/freeware remakes of some of my most cherished classic games.  Games like Rick Dangerous, Manic Miner, and Lode Runner – just to name a few.
But what has really taken it over the top for me was the discovery of some emulators for classic game systems and old computers.  Just recently I have been playing some old NES games using NesDS – the emulator for the DS that runs NES games.  But my favorite emulator of all has been FrodoDS – the Commodore 64 emulator that I have been using to play some of the best computer games of my time.  I have just finished the 3rd stage in Mayhem In Monsterland – a classic puzzle game that has actually made a come back on newer systems, but started out on the Commodore 64.
Quite honestly, the R4 DS Card has been the best investment I have ever made for my Nintendo DS, as far as accessories go.  I’ve been able to expand my software collection with freeware games for the DS that I would otherwise not be able to play.  It cost me less than $30.00 including the memory card it came with.  Pretty good price for some awesome classic gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment